MMO2729 - Post-medieval water meadow southeast of Sherracombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks in fields south of Sherracombe, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7181 3569, four gutters are visible, following the contours of a steep south facing slope above an unnamed stream. The gutters extend across two fields, covering an area of approximately 2 hectares. This system appears to be connected to the farmyard at Sherracombe, suggesting that this was an integrated system which also distributed liquid manure as fertiliser to the fields. Catchwater meadows used a series of approximately parallel gutters to distribute flowing water evenly over the surface of the meadow in order to prevent freezing in winter and encourage early growth in spring, thereby providing extra feed for livestock. Most catchwater meadows are believed to date to the post-medieval period, although it is possible that they were first developed in the medieval period. [1-3] The two fields are depicted and labelled on the North Molton Tithe Map. The eastern one is numbered 629 and named 'Western Brake', in arable use; the western is 630, labelled 'Gutter Close' and said to be meadow. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73086 829-30 (17 April 1973).
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <3>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #42127 ]
- <4> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7187 3568 (297m by 106m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484170 (Pastscape entry: 1484170)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW69
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484170
Record last edited
Sep 2 2020 3:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.