MEM23146 - Sherracombe Farm, North Molton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the North Molton Tithe Map as two small buildings at SS 7176 3576 and SS 7175 3574, in and abutting two parcels numbered 631 and 632. The apportionment records this land as being owned by Lord Poltimore, and leased and occupied by Peter Slader, as are the surrounding parcels. Parcel 631 is labelled 'house courtlage etc' and 632 as 'garden'. The large field to the southeast of the site is numbered 630 and labelled 'Gutter Close', while the much smaller one to the northwest is numbered 633 and labelled 'Green'.  The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps appear to show these same buildings with some small extensions, although it is possible the original structures had been demolished and rebuilt. A further small building is depicted to their south. This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. [2-3] It is unclear from the 1946-8 aerial photographs whether the building sited at SS 7176 3576 or the southern small buildings were still extant; however, they appear as ruins on the 2000 aerial photographs. The farmhouse at SS 7175 3574 is still, however, extant. [4-6] The farmstead was viewed from a distance in January 1997 and mistakenly believed to be 20th Century in date. 
- <1> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #42126 ]
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM6709 Aerial photograph: Geoinformation. 2000. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <6> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <7> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 109.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7175 3574 (51m by 42m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 109
Record last edited
Sep 8 2020 9:45AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.