MMO2716 - Post-medieval water meadow south of Rockley Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks in fields south of Rockley Farm, Brayford. Centred at approximately SS 7045 3808, six gutters are visible stretching across a fairly steep south facing slope above an unnamed stream. The gutters closely follow the contours of the slope, and are apparently fed from a spring and stream north of Rockley Farm. The gutters stretch across at least three fields, covering a total area of approximately 8 hectares. Several similar water meadow systems can be seen in surrounding areas, presumably belonging to neighbouring farms. This system appears to be connected to the farmyard at Rockley Farm, suggesting that this was an integrated system which also distributed liquid manure as fertiliser to the fields. Catchwater meadows used a series of approximately parallel gutters to distribute flowing water evenly over the surface of the meadow in order to prevent freezing in winter and encourage early growth in spring, thereby providing extra feed for livestock. Most catchwater meadows are believed to date to the post-medieval period, although it is possible that they were first developed in the medieval period. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4043-45 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <3>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #42036 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7047 3808 (351m by 364m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1484071 (Pastscape entry: 1484071)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW56
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1484071
Record last edited
Sep 2 2020 4:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.