MEM23110 - Rockley Farm, Brayford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for High Bray labels and depicts Rockley as a group of buildings enclosing a farmyard with a few small enclosures. The main building is linear in form and orientated northwest to southeast, with an extension (or earlier phase extending) from its southwestern elevation to form an almost L shaped building. It creates the northeastern and southeastern boundaries of the yard, with the southwestern corner occupied by a large outbuilding and the northwestern side defined by a smaller structure. This layout is repeated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, with an extra building or small enclosure situated at approximately SS 7042 3826.  By the time the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed, the northeastern section of the L shaped building had been demolished and replaced by a new farmhouse, which is still extant. Also, the building on the southwestern side of the yard had been extended to the north, either replacing or incorporating the smaller structure shown on the Tithe and 1st Edition map. A well and further outbuilding (possibly a field barn) are depicted on the southern fringe of the site. Since this map was published, the original section of the building in the yard's southwestern corner, together with the extra building shown on the 1st Edition map have both been demolished and the farmstead has been extended to the southeast. [2-4] The farmstead was visited in December 1996. The farmhouse was thought to date to the 20th Century and had one or two 19th Century rubble farm buildings surviving. 
- <1> SEM8103 Map: Northcote, G.. 1838. High Bray Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3>XY SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #42037 ]
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 66.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7045 3824 (145m by 106m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 66
Record last edited
Sep 8 2020 9:47AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.