MMO2649 - Possible post-medieval rectangular enclosure south of Henstey Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A rectangular enclosure is visible as a slight earthwork on aerial photographs south of Henstey Wood, Carhampton. Centred at approximately SS 9954 4308, the enclosure is defined by a narrow bank measuring less than 2 metres wide, defining at least two sides of an enclosure measuring 55 metres long by 26 metres wide. Nothing is depicted on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889 at this location and its precise date and function are uncertain. However, it is likely to be related to the post-medieval Dunster Park in which it lies, and was perhaps a stock enclosure or similar. [1-3]
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3017-18 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4>XY SMO7570 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187. [Mapped feature: #32498 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9954 4308 (70m by 55m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CARHAMPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1480345 (Original Monarch entry: 1480345)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE195
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1480345
Record last edited
Jan 22 2020 1:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.