MMO2635 - Possible medieval or post-medieval routeway southwest of Shallowford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A number of shallow ditches visible on aerial photographs as earthworks in a field in south west of Shallowford, Lynton and Lynmouth closely resemble the former medieval or post medieval packhorse road visible to the east. Centred at approximately SS 7122 4486 a number of irregular, criss-crossing ditches are visible, running roughly north-east to south-west. It is possible that the ditches here represent an alternative route for the road, or a separate packhorse road, passing through Shallowford and on around the boundaries of the former Royal Forest. No trackway or road is depicted at this location on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, suggesting the routeway had been abandoned prior to this date. Burton (1989) identifies a trackway at Shallowford which he describes as an "ancient routeway" which later became a well used packhorse road, crossing from Lynton to Mole Chamber. Another area of similar trackways can be seen west of Shallowford, possibly a continuation of this road. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4089-90 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 19, 34-35.
- <4> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7123 4487 (112m by 150m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1480172 (Original Monarch entry: 1480172)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW277
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1480172
Record last edited
Jul 10 2013 1:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.