MMO2619 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries on Sloe Combe, Sloecombe or Slocombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A number of medieval or post-medieval field boundaries are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks north of Wootton Lodge and Huntsham Cott, Wootton Courtenay. Centred at aproximately SS 9539 4343, several linear banks are visible, mostly aligned northwest to southeast, and apparently forming at least one large rectangular enclosure measuring approximately 130 metres by 117 metres. In places the banks are cut or interrupted by the extant field boundaries. To the west of these banks at SS 9520 4360 is the former settlement of Slocombe Farm, which is mentioned in the court rolls of Henry VIII (1539-40). By 1844 it was a holding of approximately 83 acres, but without a farmhouse, suggesting it had been abandoned. It seem likely that these boundaries could be associated with this settlement, and further survey will be required to confirm this. Several of the boundaries are apparently still in use on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, although most are overlain by coniferous forest plantations. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70380 164-65 (23 September 1970).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. 71-104.
- <4>XY SMO7570 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187. [Mapped feature: #32508 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9538 4341 (196m by 178m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1479728 (Original Monarch entry: 1479728)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE182
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1479728
Record last edited
Jan 22 2020 2:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.