MMO2604 - Late prehistoric hillslope enclosure northwest North Hawkwell (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a possible hillslope enclosure of probable late prehistoric date can be seen on aerial photographs as an earthwork to the northwest of North Hawkwell, centred on circa SS 9246 4018. The enclosure is subsquare in shape and defined by a very denuded bank obscured by vegetation on its northern edge. Nonetheless, the enclosure can be seen to be roughly 80 to 90 metres in diameter, enclosing an area of 0.6 hectares. The enclosure is located on a southeast facing slope, between 250 and 270 metres above Ordnance Datum, overlooking the River Avill to the south. Although the southern edge of the earthwork may be slightly damaged by modern trackway, the antiquity of the earthwork may be indicated by the fact that it is largely respected by the course of an extant field boundary. A D shaped enclosure of similar size and potentially similar date can be seen approximately 850 metres to the northeast. [1-4] Aerial photographs taken by Englissh Heritage in March 2011 clearly show the earthworks of the enclosure. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F63) 0146-7 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL/76067 172 (4 August 1976).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA JAS/85041 115-6 (29 August 1985).
- <4>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #32481 ]
- <5> SEM8159 Aerial photograph: English Heritage. 2011. Oblique aerial photographs of selected sites across Exmoor National Park. 26879_037.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9250 4021 (109m by 102m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1479610 (Pastscape entry: 1479610)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW113
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1479610
Record last edited
Aug 18 2020 11:03AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.