MMO2600 - Post-medieval quarry remains northwest of Oaktrow Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of at least 3 quarries are visible on aerial photographs as a pits roughly 175 metres to the to the northwest of Oaktrow Farm, at circa SS 9410 4056. The pits are oval in plan and just over 20 metres long, orientated in a row north to south roughly following the 200 metre Ordnance Datum contour. The individual earthworks are not explicitly marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, but do occupy an area demarcated as unimproved ground which is also marked Old Quarry. This supports the interpretation that the pits predate the first edition map and are therefore of probable post-medieval date. The function of the pits is unclear but they may have been dug for walling material used in the construction of the surrounding field system associated with Oaktrow Farm, part of which also forms the boundary with Timberscombe parish. [1-3] The pits have been infilled; a void opening up in October 2013 is likely to represent collapsed infilling. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F63) 0143-4 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #32486 ]
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Site visit, Shirley Blaylock, 8 November 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9410 4057 (23m by 85m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1479540 (Original Monarch entry: 1479540)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW109
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1479540
Record last edited
Oct 26 2021 10:24AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.