MMO2553 - 19th Century enclosure bank northwest of Larkbarrow Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A roughly 65 metre length of earthwork bank is visible on aerial photographs to the northwest of Larkbarrow Farm, centred on circa SS 8175 4301. If the line of the short length of visible earthwork were to be extended southwards, it would define the eastern edge of an area of narrow ridge and furrow, thought to be indicative of agricultural improvement associated with the farmstead. It may therefore be the remains of an abandoned or incomplete phase of enclosure of mid 19th Century date associated with Larkbarrow Farm. The earthwork is visible only on aerial photographs of 1952 was probably levelled by subsequent agricultural improvements. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 4106-7 (8 November 1952).
- <2>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #43444 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478580, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8175 4301 (22m by 68m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478580 (Pastscape entry: 1478580)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW302
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478580
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 4:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.