MMO2535 - 19th Century peat cutting on Kittuck Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Evidence of peat cutting can be seen as large, irregularly shaped pits on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, covering a circa 5 hectares area of Kittuck Hill centred on circa SS 8154 4370. The pits are irregularly shaped but appear to be associated with drainage ditches of probable 19th Century date, and it is probable that the peat cutters opportunistically exploited these linear earthworks following their abandonment, probably in the second half of the 19th Century. The expansion of the relict drainage ditches resulted in the pattern of earthworks now visible. They are mostly rectilinear in plan and often display a stepped edge which has been interpreted as evidence of sustained and systematic peat cutting, perhaps by several generations of the same family in a preferred location, as part of their commoners' rights. The identifiable pits vary in size but range up to 80 metres in size. Due to the difficult nature of the evidence, which can vary in appearance on aerial photographs from year to year, the transcription attempts only to convey the general area and character of the excavations and should be taken only as indicative of the extent of individual pits. The heyday of peat cutting on Exmoor was in the first half of the 19th Century, although cutting probably took place on a smaller scale from the medieval period well into the 20th Century. [1-5] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. N.B. The textual data from NRHE Monument reference 1478356 is duplicated from 1478372. However, it is mapped at SS 8206 4333 on the database and on the NMP data. Another record, 1478350 (MMO2534) is mapped at SS 8206 4333 on the NRHE dabatase as a small diamond shape. It therefore appears that the mapping data ascribed to NRHE reference 1478356 belongs to 1478350 and will be recorded against that feature. [8-10]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3066-7 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 4106-7 (8 November 1952).
- <3> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8143/1/349-352 (SF1459) (1 March 1979).
- <4> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 72, 232-3.
- <5>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #38942 1478372]
- <6> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <7> SEM8493 Report: Riley, H.. 2017. Agricultural Reclamation at Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor. Exmoor Mires Partnership ELB17 Project Report.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478356, Extant 19 July 2021.
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478372, Extant 19 July 2021.
- <10> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 19 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8152 4373 (411m by 230m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (8)
- Related to: 19th Century peat cutting north of Larkbarrow Farm (Monument) (MMO2534)
- Related to: 19th Century peat cutting northeast of Larkbarrow Farm (Monument) (MMO2533)
- Related to: 19th Century peat cutting on Kittuck Mead (Monument) (MMO2520)
- Related to: 19th Century peat cutting on Madacombe (Monument) (MMO2517)
- Related to: 19th Century peat cutting on Madacombe (Monument) (MMO2518)
- Related to: Post-medieval ditches at Kittuck Hill (Monument) (MMO2539)
- Related to: Post-medieval peat cutting on Manor Allotment (Monument) (MMO2536)
- Related to: Post-medieval peat cutting on Stowey Allotment (Monument) (MMO2538)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478356 (Pastscape entry: 1478356)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478372 (Pastscape entry: 1478372)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2537
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW284
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW286
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478356
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478372
Record last edited
Jul 19 2021 11:32AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.