MMO2499 - 19th Century agricultural 'improvement' earthworks on Madacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Evidence of probably 19th Century agricultural improvement in drainage is visible as low earthworks on aerial photographs on the west facing slopes of Madacombe above Long Combe, Exmoor parish. Very regularly spaced linear earthworks, orientated north to south are visible centred on circa SS 8258 4236. Up to 400 metres long and spaced 10 to 12 metres apart, these earthworks may be evidence for ploughing, possibly using a steam or mechanical plough, or the digging of drains on over nine hectares of Madacombe. The earthworks can be seen between roughly 410 and 425 metres elevation, becoming less visible as the height drops towards Long Combe, but it is probable more are present but not visible. The earthworks are probably contemporaneous with smaller scale improvement works to the west around Long Combe head. They are not visible on photographs later than 1964 but may simply be obscured by vegetation. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 3195-6 (13 May 1946.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F64) 162-3 (27 April 1964).
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #43432 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477966, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8255 4239 (318m by 436m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477966 (Original Monarch entry: 1477966)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW248
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477966
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 10:53AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.