MMO2486 - Undated square platform at Elsworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A square is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on Elsworthy, Exmoor parish. The platform is roughly 15 metres across and centred on circa SS 8059 4111, approximately 100 metres to the east of a Barrow of Bronze Age date which itself is surrounded by peat cuttings of probable 19th Century date. The date and function of the platform are uncertain, but it may be the remains of a peat drying platform, or simply an artefact of the peat extraction and non archaeological in origin. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 979-80 (29 April 1973).
- <2>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #38957 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477922, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8059 4111 (22m by 21m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477922 (Pastscape entry: 1477922)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW241
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477922
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 11:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.