MMO2430 - Possible medieval field boundaries northwest of South Almsworthy Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Possible field boundaries are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks over an area of perhaps 15 hectares or more around Swincombe Cleeve head, Exford parish, centred approximately on circa SS 84764044. After a fashion seen to the west, in Allcombe Water, two banks enclose the steep northwest facing slopes of Swincombe Cleeve at circa SS 8451 4017 and SS 8461 4029. Beyond this, however, the fragmentary banks around Swincombe Cleeve head do not form any discernible or coherent pattern. It is possible they represent an abandoned phase of medieval enclosure, possibly associated with the deserted farm at Higher Pitsworthy, of what may have been part of Almsworthy and Exford Common prior to the nineteenth century enclosure associated with Greenlands to the north. [1-3] Mapping extended to southwest following suggestion of enclosure on 1946-1948 aerial photographs  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 3064-5 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4164-5 (11 April 1947).
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #32596 ]
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1477514, Extant 20 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8465 4044 (633m by 595m) Enhanced using SEM6707|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477514 (Pastscape entry: 1477514)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW203
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1477514
Record last edited
Jul 20 2021 4:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.