MMO2408 - Medieval or post-medieval enclosures east of Badgworthy Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD (Possible) to 1900 AD (Possible))
- (Alternate Type) DEER PARK? (Medieval - 1066 AD (Possible) to 1539 AD (Possible))
- (Alternate Type) DEER PARK? (AD 19th Century - 1825 AD (Possible) to 1825 AD (Possible))
- (Alternate Type) FIELD SYSTEM? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD (Possible) to 1900 AD (Possible))
- None recorded
Several curvilinear banks are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks east of Badgworthy Water and medieval village. Centred at SS 7958 4464, the curved boundaries form at least two enclosures, measuring approximately 160 metres long by 120 metres wide. At the southern end of the enclosures is a small fir plantation, presumably planted in the 19th century. The area is marked "Deer Park" on both the modern and the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. According to Burton, a deer park was constructed here by Nicholas Snow of Oare manor in 1825. However, given that this area is within the former Royal Forest of Exmoor, it is possible they were part of an earlier medieval deer park. The boundaries may also be associated with the nearby deserted settlement. [1-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 270-71 (16 August 1972).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4067-68 (8 November 1952).
- <3> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. pp 94-95.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5> SEM7725 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2004. 1:10000, 2004. 1:10,000.
- <6>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32924 ]
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1476631, Extant 8 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7960 4461 (296m by 223m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1476631 (Pastscape entry: 1476631)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE257
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1476631
Record last edited
Jun 9 2021 2:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.