MMO2372 - Medieval or post-medieval trackway west of Badgworthy Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A medieval or post medieval hollow way or trackway is visible on aerial photographs  as an earthwork west of Badgworthy Cottage, Brendon. Centred at SS 7890 4446, the track begins by running approximately north to south, before turning to the west and continuing east to west for 80 metres. At this point it turns again to the north and continues southeast to northwest between two field banks, after which it fades from view. The track is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889  and was apparently still in use at this point, but its close association with the medieval field boundaries and lynchets of the deserted settlement of Badgworthy suggests that its origins are most probably medieval. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. N.B. The NRHE record had erroneously been associated with the Devon HER reference 31537; however, this is a separate track recorded to the south, recorded on the Exmoor HER as MDE20604. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4069-70 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #38763 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475995, Extant 8 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7886 4447 (92m by 89m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475995 (Pastscape entry: 1475995)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE221
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475995
Record last edited
Jun 8 2021 4:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.