MDE20606 - Post-medieval quarry west of Badgworthy Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A post-medieval quarry is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork west of Badgworthy Cottage, Brendon. Centred at approximately SS 7886 4446, the oval quarry measures some 20 metres across. It is depicted and annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting it was in use in 1889 when the map ws published. It is possible that this quarry supplied building stone for the construction of Badgworthy Cottage in 1860.  There is no sign on the 1962 map.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4069-70 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #38736 ]
- <4> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1476001, Extant 16 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7886 4447 (20m by 14m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1476001 (Pastscape entry: 1476001)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31539
- Devon SMR: SS74SE/47
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2373
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE222
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1476001
Record last edited
Jun 16 2021 3:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.