MMO2330 - Post-medieval quarry east of Farley Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large post-medieval quarry is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork cut into a steep west facing slope above Farley Water, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7577 4278, the quarry measures some 22 metres across. Several possible tracks are visible leading to and from the quarry to the north and south, but these are too amorphous to map from aerial photographs. The quarry is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, and annotated "old quarry" suggesting it had been abandoned shortly before publication in 1891. There is no indication as to what material was extracted here; however, there are several other quarries in the vicinity. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 072-73 (12 March 1995).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1891.
- <3>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #46714 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475596, Extant 15 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7577 4278 (25m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475596 (Pastscape entry: 1475596)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE179
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475596
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 1:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.