MMO2316 - Medieval or post-medieval quarry possibly associated building platform on Hoccombe Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A medieval or post-medieval quarry is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on moorland south of Hoccombe Water, Brendon. Centred at approximately SS 7788 7349 the quarry measures 22 metres long by 7 metres wide. 15 metres south of the quarry a rectangular earthwork platform is visible, possibly the remains of an associated building, measuring 12 metres long by 6 metres wide. The quarry is depicted and annotated, on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, but the platform is not shown, suggesting it was either constructed after this date or abandoned prior to it. There is also a possibility that the platform is not associated with the quarry, and is instead related to the Second World War training activities which took place in this area. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 3071-72 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #38761 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475537, Extant 15 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7788 4348 (28m by 27m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475537 (Pastscape entry: 1475537)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE165
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475537
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 3:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.