MDE12636 - L Shaped Building, above Hoccombe Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An "L"-shaped building is shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch mapping of 1891. (1) The remains of a rectangular or "L"-shaped building are visible on the north side of Hoccombe Water at SS 7795 4334. The ruined structure lies adjacent to, and on the west side of, a north-south field wall. It consists of a structure measuring 9.2 metres by 7 metres overall, with coursed dry stone walls 1.1 metres high at best. It is terraced into the hillside by 0.6 metres on the northern side. The northern and western walls of the building are best preserved, whilst the eastern and southern sides are marked by stony spreads and occasional wall footings. The remains of several fragmentary internal divisions are visible, but do not form an intelligible plan. The date and function of the building are uncertain. (2) The building described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs (3). Burton (4) mentions a cottage 100 yards north of Hoccombe Water apparently constructed by John Knight as a base for a stockman, and also to keep watch on the inhabitants of Brendon, who were said to have destroyed walls and banks built by the Knights in an effort to stop them enclosing the common land. A 19th century date for the structure seems most likely. A second building platform and associated quarry are visible north of the structure (see MMO2316). (5)
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Wilson-North, R. 26/04/1994.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 3071-72. 08/11/1952.
- <4> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. P. 78.
- <5> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7794 4333 (16m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1038402 (Pastscape entry: 1038402)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO478
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE111
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1038402
Record last edited
Jun 19 2012 2:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.