MMO2312 - Post-medieval peat cutting on Brendon Common (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks on Brendon Common, stretching from Withycombe Ridge in SS 74 NE to Brendon Two Gates on the B3223 and covering an area of approximately 116 hectares. The earthworks are centred at approximately SS 7640 4442 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 10 to 12 metres across, to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 100 metres long by 30 metres across. Several of the pits show signs of having been reworked, or cut in stages, creating a "stepped" effect to the edges of the pit. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. Similar areas are visible to the south and west. [1-4] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on this practice and specific information on some of the sites present on Brendon Common, including spade marks.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  SS 776 444. Turf pits associated with Brendon Commoners. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73087 676-77 (17 April 1973).
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. P 232-233.
- <3> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage.
- <4> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report. 32-36.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475503, Extant 15 June 2021.
- <7> SEM8795 Unpublished document: Wills, G.. Unknown. Location of turf pits within the parishes of Exmoor & Brendon.
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475503 (Pastscape entry: 1475503)
- Local Heritage List Status (Unassessed)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE161
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475503
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7658 4446 (1343m by 1592m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
Record last edited
Nov 30 2022 4:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.