MMO2311 - Post-medieval peat cutting northwest of Brendon Two Gates (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs  as numerous irregular sunken pits and earthworks on moorland northwest of Brendon Two Gates on the B3223, covering an area of approximately 8 hectares. The earthworks are centred on approximately SS 7643 4332 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from large square pits measuring up to 26 metres across, to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 30 metres long by 5 metres wide. It is not clear whether the peat was extracted for domestic fuel, or for turfing enclosure walls. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. Similar areas are visible to the north and south, and this patch of cuttings may be part of the larger area extending from Withycombe Ridge to Blackpitts. [1-4] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 872-73 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. PP. 232-33.
- <3> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. P 47, 143.
- <4>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #38759 ]
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475490, Extant 15 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7641 4333 (197m by 215m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475490 (Pastscape entry: 1475490)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE160
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475490
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 4:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.