MMO2304 - Peat Cutting on Exe Plain (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous large linear pits and irregular earthworks on Exe Plain and covering an area of approximately 45 hectares. The earthworks are centred on approximately SS 7533 4217 and are fairly uniform in size and shape. Most are rectangular, aligned approximately north west to south-east and between 50 and 150 metres long and 30-55 metres wide. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. Similar areas are visible to the south and east. (1-4) A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage.
- <3> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. P 232-233.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. Exmoor National Park Authority MAL 13/77 113-14 20-MAY-1977.
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7541 4226 (764m by 1133m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475403 (Pastscape entry: 1475403)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1475403
Record last edited
Jul 27 2018 2:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.