MMO2304 - Post-medieval peat cutting on Exe Plain (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous large linear pits and irregular earthworks on Exe Plain and covering an area of approximately 45 hectares. The earthworks are centred on approximately SS 7533 4217 and are fairly uniform in size and shape. Most are rectangular, aligned approximately northwest to southeast and between 50 and 150 metres long and 30-55 metres wide. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. Similar areas are visible to the south and east. [1-4] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. Exmoor National Park Authority, MAL 13/77 113-14 (20 May 1977).
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. PP 232-233.
- <3> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage.
- <4>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32993 ]
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475403, Extant 15 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7541 4226 (764m by 1133m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475403 (Pastscape entry: 1475403)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE153
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475403
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 4:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.