MMO2229 - Possible prehistoric ring cairn on Shoulsbarrow Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small ring bank is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, located close to the summit of Shoulsbarrow Common, Challacombe. It appears to be a prehistoric ring cairn, most likely dating to the Bronze Age. Centred at approximately SS 7123 4028, the ring measures 15 metres in diameter, with the bank measuring approximately 2 to 3 metres wide.  It is not clear whether this is actually the round barrow mentioned in MEM22300. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4106-07 (19 May 1947).
- <2> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 6 March 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7123 4028 (19m by 20m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1471343 (Original Monarch entry: 1471343)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1471343
Record last edited
Dec 21 2016 1:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.