MMO2220 - North Regis Quarries (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A post-medieval quarry is visible on aerial photpgraphs as an earthwork in the south west corner of a field south of North Regis Common. Centred at approximately SS 7102 4126, the linear quarry measures 78 metres long and up to 18 metres wide. It may have been dug as a series of individual pits which were gradually widened and merged into a single trench. The quarry is shown as part of North Regis Quarries on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, but is not annotated, suggesting it may have been abandoned prior to 1890. [1-3] The section of quarry depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map is clearly labelled "North Regis Quarries". The area of the quarry depicted is smaller than that transcribed by the National Mapping Project, suggesting it was still in use at this time. There are further earthworks depicted on the 1st Edition map to the west, at SS 7092 4127, SS 7070 4124 and SS 7063 4123 and it is likely that these all formed part of the same quarry group. [1,3,4] "North Regis Quarry" shown on the six inch 1905 2nd Edition and six inch 1962 Ordnance Survey maps. [5,6]
- <1>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890. [Mapped features: #44203 ; #44204 ; #44205 ]
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4086-87 (13 May 1946).
- <3>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #32880 ]
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 28 March 2018.
- <5> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 7SW.
- <6> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7084 4126 (478m by 79m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1471268 (Pastscape entry: 1471268)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31531
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/119
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20598
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW251
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1471268
Record last edited
Feb 10 2021 12:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.