MMO2209 - Possible modern earthworks southwest of Driver Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Several possible prehistoric field boundaries and banks are visible as slight earthworks on rough ground in a field southwest of Driver Farm, Exmoor Parish. Centred at approximately SS 7311 4031 and covering an area of 0.5 hectares, the banks lie on a different alignment to the extant and post medieval boundaries nearby, and are quite different in form and structure. The most substantial, at SS 7305 4032, runs southwest to northeast and measures approximately 110 metres long, although fragmented in places. At SS 7310 4029, two banks can be seen apparently forming the corner of an enclosure measuring 25 by 21 metres and aligned north to south. Additional fragmentary banks are visible nearby, varying in size and alignment. There is no indication of a field system in this area on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, and it is depicted as moorland. However, during the medieval period the area was within the Royal Forest of Exmoor, and it is unlikely that a field system would exist at this location during this time. Further examination will be required to establish a precise date, but a prehistoric date seems likely. [1-4] A site visit in May 2013 was undertaken by the ENPA Historic Environment team. None of the features could be located and it was thought likely that the recorded features were an artefact of the various natural drainage features, modern attempts to contain springs and the field gutter system recorded in MMO2155. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 992-93 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <3> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. 20, 162.
- <4>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #32887 ]
- <5> SEM7972 Report: Bray, L.. 2013. HER Input Form: Field visit to MMO2099.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7309 4031 (138m by 88m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1471201 (Original Monarch entry: 1471201)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW240
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1471201
Record last edited
Feb 10 2021 1:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.