MMO2207 - Medieval or post-medieval field system above Yarbury Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Several medieval or post-medieval field boundaries are visible as slight earthworks on aerial photographs in fields above Yarbury Combe, Challacombe. Centred at approximately SS 7125 4186, they are located on the opposite side of the combe to some other earthwork boundaries, and may be part of the same system (see MMO2176). They also follow a similar alignment, with most of the banks appearing to run south-west to north-east, along the crest of the ridge and around the top of the combe. However, they are less well preserved and more fragmentary than the banks of the field system opposite, so an association is not certain. The boundaries are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting they were abandoned prior to the publication date of 1889. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 922-23 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #32889 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7122 4188 (204m by 272m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1471185 (Original Monarch entry: 1471185)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW238
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1471185
Record last edited
Feb 10 2021 1:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.