MMO2180 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries south of Old Close Quarry (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of several medieval or post medieval field boundaries are visible on aerial photographs in fields south of Old Close Quarry, Challacombe. centred at approximately SS 7043 4047, three banks are visible, all of which are heavily fragmented. The westernmost bank, at SS 7033 4047, measures approximately 28 metres long, and curves towards the east. The central bank, at SS 7039 4046, measures approximately 72 metres and the easternmost bank at SS 7056 4045 measures approximately 95 metres. The boundaries all run approximately north to south, but are curved in places or turn slightly eastwards, and therefore lie on a different alignment to the extant fields in the area, suggesting they are of an earlier date. They are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, which indicates they had been abandoned some time prior to publication in 1889. [1-3] SS 70568 40449. A low, flat topped bank of stone and earth was noted during field survey in 2017. It is 1.7 metres wide, 1 metre high and 90 metres long and forms part of a more extensive relict field system mapped from aerial photographs to the north of the survey area . It predates the late 19th Century enclosure of the Common edge and probably dates from the late medieval or early post-medieval period. It overlies hollow ways of probably medieval date (MEM25067).  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4103-04 (19 May 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <4> SEM8543 Report: Riley, H.. 2018. Archaeological walkover survey: Wallover Down, South Regis Common, Castle Common and Fullaford Down. Hazel Riley. CSR17011; p 15.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1470876, Extant 19 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7045 4051 (302m by 231m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470876 (Pastscape entry: 1470876)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW211
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1470876
Record last edited
Jan 19 2022 9:31AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.