MMO2173 - Peat Cutting, East of Hoaroak (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks on Cheriton Ridge, Brendon, covering an area of approximately 29 hectares. The earthworks are centred on SS 7509 4377 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring between 5 and 6 metres across , to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 50 metres across. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places (4). Similar areas are visible to the south, south-east and north east. (1-6) This site is mentioned in the 2013 report by Hazel Riley, a field survey and synthesis of previous projects in the Hoaroak Valley, funded by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme.  A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3178-79. 11/04/1947.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4124-25. 08/11/1952.
- <3> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. P. 232-33.
- <4> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. P. 143.
- <5> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <6> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <7> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 36.
- <8> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7502 4378 (583m by 790m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470719 (Pastscape entry: 1470719)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475392 (Pastscape entry: 1475392)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2303
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470719
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1475392
Record last edited
Aug 18 2015 2:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.