MMO2168 - Peat Cutting, North-East of Pinkery Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs (1) as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks on moorland north-east of Pinkery Farm covering an area of approximately 3 hectares. The earthworks are centred on SS 727 413 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 4-6 metres, to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 65 metres across. The cuttings are closely associated with an area of 19th century drainage, believed to be part of the Knight family's land improvements during the 19th century. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places (2). Similar areas are visible to the north east along The Chains. (3) A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3149-50. 11/04/1947.
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. P. 47, 143.
- <3> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7276 4131 (202m by 212m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470643 (Pastscape entry: 1470643)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW 199
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470643
Record last edited
Aug 18 2015 2:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.