MMO2165 - Post-medieval peat cutting on The Chains (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks on The Chains, covering an area of approximately 42 hectares. The earthworks are centred on SS 728 423 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 6-10 metres across, to less regularly shaped, curved or linear pits up to 100 metres across. The cuttings are closely associated with an area of 19th century drainage, believed to date to the Knight family's land improvement activity in the area. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until vey recently, and may continue in places. Similar areas are visible to the northeast and southeast. [1-4] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  SS 7235 4210. The site of turf pits relating to Pinkery Farm. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 924-27 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. Exmoor National Park Authority photograph. IRFC 5804-05 (1983).
- <3> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. 47, 143.
- <4>XY SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #32901 ]
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1470624, Extant 18 January 2022.
- <7> SEM8795 Unpublished document: Wills, G.. Unknown. Location of turf pits within the parishes of Exmoor & Brendon.
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470624 (Original Monarch entry: 1470624)
- Local Heritage List Status (Unassessed)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW196
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1470624
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7288 4226 (819m by 894m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
Record last edited
Nov 30 2022 4:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.