MMO2164 - Peat Cutting, Hoaroak Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs (1) as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks on Hoaroak Hill, Exmoor, covering an area of approximately 7.5 hectares. The earthworks are centred on SS 737 429 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 6-8 metres, to rectangular linear pits up to 200 metres across. The cuttings lie in close proximity to a number of post medieval and 20th century drains depicted on the modern Ordnance Survey map (2), which are believed to have been cut as part of the Knight family's attempt at land improvement in the area during the 19th century. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until vary recently, and may continue in places. Similar areas are visible to the north along The Chains. (1-4) A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 3126-28. 08/11/1952.
- <2> SEM7725 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2004. 1:10000, 2004. 1:10,000.
- <3> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. P. 47, 143.
- <4> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7372 4301 (680m by 310m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470618 (Pastscape entry: 1470618)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470618
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 10:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.