MMO2091 - Possible late prehistoric enclosure southwest of Dean Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible prehistoric enclosure is visible on oblique aerial photographs as an earthwork in fields to the southwest of Dean Cross, Kentisbury. Centred at approximately SS 6250 4456, the enclosure is oval in shape, and measures approximately 43 metres in diameter. The bank itself varies in width from 8 to 13 metres. There are two breaks in the bank, at oppsite sides of the enclosure which may represent entrances. The enclosure occupies a prominent position on a fairly steep west facing slope above and unnamed stream or combe. It is similar in appearance to the enclosure at Higher Holworthy, which has been identified as an Iron Age hillslope enclosure. However, Higher Holworthy is much better preserved than this enclosure appears to be, and further study will be required to ascertain a precise date and function. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 6244/1/215 (SF1460) 7 March 1979.
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. 72-73.
- <3>XY SMO7563 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SW. MD002180. [Mapped feature: #44630 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1468403, Extant 15 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6250 4456 (57m by 57m)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1468403 (Pastscape entry: 1468403)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SW107
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1468403
Record last edited
Nov 15 2021 10:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.