MMO206 - Smarmoor deserted medieval farmstead, Brompton Regis (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
- FARMSTEAD (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATER MEADOW (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Smarmoor, Brompton Regis. SS 952 336. Only fragmentary earthworks and enclosures remain of this probable medieval farm site. There has been much agricultural improvement nearby. (Deserted farm detail, with 'Smarmoor Farm' to the south shown at SS 9525 3369 on Ordnance Survey 6 inch 1962 map).  SS 952 337. Deserted Md farmstead of Smarmoor, indicated in the 1327 Lay Subsidy by the entry of Johanne de Smalemar. [2,14] Barn and court shown as part of Smarmoor Farm on tithe map. To the west were cottages and gardens called Smarmoor Lower Head. A platform remains with probable longhouse, and earthworks of other buildings and enclosures are nearby. At SS 948 337 are the remains of the cottages shown in 1840. (M Aston. Fieldwork 14 May 1977) [2,3] The 1904 25 inch map shows only two buildings in existence.  Low banks and a mound; enclosures suggesting a deserted farm site. Smarmoor Farm existed in 1327. [5,6] The fragmentary remains of the farmstead described by the previous authorities, were seen as well preserved earthworks on vertical aerial photographs and mapped as part of the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. The farmstead is centred at SS 9525 3366 where a small complex of 3 to 4 small rectilinear enclosures and linear banks, probably field boundaries are visible, to the west at SS 951 336 is a field of ridge and furrow. To the south at SS 9525 3325, are cross contour drainage features, known locally as catch meadow irrigations systems. [7-9] The earthworks identified during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project were confirmed on the ground during RCHME's Exmoor Project. The well defined remains of a two celled rectangular building is visible at SS 9527 3367 on the north side of an old trackway. Other amorphous earthworks are visible to the south and southeast. In a field to the north are the vestiges of removed field boundaries. At SS 9523 3358 is a second building also identified during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. It lies on the western side of a marshy gulley and is defined by slight earthworks 0.3 metres high.  Earthwork of buildings much affected by farm workings. Platform remains with probable longhouse and other earthworks are also apparent. West of the site at SS 948 337 in a sheltered valley are the remains of cottages which are shown on the tithe map.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO797 Article in serial: Aston, M and Murles, B.J. 1978. Somerset Archaeology 1977. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 122. 136.
- <2> SMO5320 Monograph: Glasscock, R.E. (editor). 1975. The Lay Subsidy of 1334. Oxford University Press. 11. 265.
- <2> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. p 78-82, 88.
- <3> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, 57(8).
- <5> SSO258 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 95. 8756.
- <6> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9533B.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/2082/4027-8 (19 May 1947).
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. SCC CS969 9697-8 (5 November 1981).
- <9> SMO7520 Archive: Dyer, C.. 1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
- <10> SSO1631 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93SE.
- <11> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Slide SCPD 3.003.0004.
- <12> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 September 1998.
- <14> SEM7942 Serial: Dickinson, F.H.. 1889. Kirby's Quest for Somerset. 177.
- <15> SSO1741 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1979. SS93SE. 7.
- <16> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36695, Extant 4 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9522 3342 (403m by 584m) (2 map features)|
|Historic Parish||KINGS BROMPTON|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36695 (Original Monarch entry: 36695)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11095
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8851
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE7
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36695
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33392
Record last edited
May 4 2022 2:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.