MMO2048 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries north and west of Withycombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A number of fragmentary medieval or post-medieval field boundaries are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks in fields around Withycombe Farm, Challacombe. Centred at approximately SS 6851 4217 the banks follow various alignments, in some cases running parallel with extant field boundaries. At SS 6856 4226 a bank runs northeast to southwest downslope, measuring approximately 59 metres long. A second bank, heavily fragmented, is visible at SS 6855 4218 measuring 68 metres long and running approximately north to south. This bank lies parallel with an extant field boundary at SS 6856 4220, and may be associated with it. Fragments of a third bank are visible to the west of the farm at SS 6848 4214. This bank is very irregular, but appears to run approximately east to west downslope before curving to the south. It has been cut in several places by construction of a post-medieval water meadow (see MMO2025), suggesting that the bank predates this period. It is difficult to be certain of the form of the field system due to the condition of the banks. However, since the banks are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map it seems likely they were abandoned prior to publication, and they may be indicative of a longer period of settlement activity at Withycombe Farm than previously thought. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 885-86 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped features: #34725 ; #34726 ; #46084 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6845 4212 (258m by 277m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1467259 (Pastscape entry: 1467259)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 61763
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE104
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1467259
Record last edited
May 15 2019 5:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.