MMO2027 - Post-medieval extractive pit or quarry east of Rowley Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A large post-medieval extractive pit or quarry is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork to the east of Rowley Down, Parracombe. Centred at approximately SS 6568 4343 the quarry measures approximately 160 metres long and up to 30 metres wide. The linear form of the quarry suggests it may have been following a mineral seam, but it is not clear what was extracted at this site. The quarry is depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and annotated as "old quarry," suggesting that it was abandoned prior to publication in 1889. It may have been abandoned in favour of Lawns Quarry, located approximately 200 metres to the northeast, which was in operation into the 20th Century. [1-4] The feature is also depicted on the 1963 Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3094-95 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <4>XY SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181. [Mapped feature: #43190 ]
- <5> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6569 4343 (167m by 65m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466899 (Pastscape entry: 1466899)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31590
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/134
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21203
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE84
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1466899
Record last edited
May 20 2019 4:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.