MMO1995 - Medieval or post-medieval coastal fish weir on Western Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
North of the pier are two short lengths of boulder walling, possibly the remains of weirs at the mouth of the River Lyn. They are visible on an aerial photograph taken in 1978. [1,2] Two short and irregularly shaped lengths of earthwork or stone walling have been identified from aerial photographs on the Western Beach at Lynmouth bay, centred on circa SS 7225 4977. These curved features are probable the remains of coastal fish weirs, similar in function to those visible immediately to the northeast and northwest . A great number of fish weirs were recently recorded in Porlock Bay during an NMP survey of the Severn Estuary, including several examples very similarly shaped to the features recorded here, this `tick' variety one of seven types identified.  Although marked on the current Ordnance Survey base map , unlike their neighbouring examples, these features are not marked on the 1st Edition map . It is possible that they were obscured by shifting shingle and not recognised, as it is the opinion of this authority that they probably date from the medieval or post-medieval periods. Similar coastal fish weirs have been demonstrated to have been in use in Europe since the Mesolithic period and the earliest examples in the UK, found on the Isle of Wight, date to the later Bronze Age. [4-9] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/2581 (June 1978).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7249a.
- <3> SEM6848 Report: Crowther, S., Dickson, A. and Truscoe, K.. 2008. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey: National Mapping Programme.
- <4> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 2007-8.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 F20 3151-2 (11 July 1946).
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 026-027 (15 April 1972).
- <8> SEM7672 Report: Strachan, D.. 1997. Dating of some Inter-Tidal Fish-Weirs in the Blackwater Estuary.
- <9>XY SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173. [Mapped feature: #38584 ]
- <10> SEM6837 Report: Weddell, P.J.. 1992. Preliminary Archaeological Assessment of Lynton Sewage Treatment Works. 4.
- <11> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1466365, Extant 4 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7225 4976 (34m by 62m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466365 (Original Monarch entry: 1466365)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18006
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/64
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW200
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1466365
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2022 4:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.