MMO1990 - Possible World War Two communications structures overlooking Lynton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Structures of probable military function are visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, atop the hill to the south of Lynton and Lynmouth at circa SS 71104858. The structures are not marked on the Ordnance Survey 1:10560 map of 1938 and were probably constructed by the military during the Second World War. Their precise function is unclear, but a role within the military communications or observation system is probable. Although no towers or masts are visible standing by 1946, this interpretation is supported both by its topographical setting and evidence of mast footings clearly visible both next to and within the blast wall enclosure, to the southern end of the building complex. Later communications masts have been constructed in this area by 1976. The structures are still mapped on the current Ordnance Survey base map and as such have not been transcribed. However, they appear intact on aerial photographs of 1995 but appear ruinous on Google earth at the time of survey. They are probably associated with similar although smaller structures visible to the north-west, next to the ruined Down Linhay at circa SS 70714868. [1-6]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4052-3 11 April 1947.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MORE MASTS? MAL 76067 119 4 August 1976.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 021-22 12 March 1995.
- <4> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10560, 1938.
- <5> SEM7654 Website: Various. Google Earth.
- <6> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7110 4858 (32m by 41m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466282 (Original Monarch entry: 1466282)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW195
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1466282
Record last edited
Jun 26 2018 1:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.