MMO1964 - Post-medieval quarries on Lyn Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Three quarries or extractive pits of probable post-medieval date can be seen on Lyn Down as earthworks on aerial photographs, centred on approximately SS 7252 4768. The earthworks are marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, annotated as Old Quarries, which might indicate they had passed out of use by this time. Although the detail of the earthworks remains somewhat obscured by vegetation, it is clear on aerial photographs of 1995 and the latest images available on Google Earth (at the time of recording) that the two larger quarries survive as earthworks. The smaller pit, circa 25 metres to the east of the larger pits at SS 7256 4760, may have been partially infilled during the improvement of the surrounding pasture. [1-4] The 'old quarries' are also shown on the Ordnance Survey 6 inch maps of 1903 and 1962. [5,6]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95/026 047-8 12-MAR-1995.
- <3> SEM7654 Website: Various. Google Earth. http://earth.google.com/.
- <4> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
- <5> SDE65803 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903/38. 6 Inch: 1903-38. 1:10560.
- <6> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7252 4768 (106m by 70m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1465652 (Original Monarch entry: 1465652)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31077
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/163
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21059
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW169
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1465652
Record last edited
Mar 13 2018 2:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.