MMO1954 - Sub rectangular enclosure southeast of Caffyns Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A sub-rectangular enclosure of uncertain date is inferred from a range of evidence visible on aerial photographs, including field boundary patterns, low earthworks and cropmarks. The possible enclosure is located on a gentle north facing slope above the Barbrook, centred on circa SS 70324710. The wider field system in this are is one predominantly of enclosure of fields based on bundles of strip fields, probably of medieval origin, typified by long narrow fields with sinuous or curved boundaries. A former field boundary that appears slightly anomalous in this pattern demarcates the northern edge of this possible enclosure. Centred on circa SS 70354715, this boundary is marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890 and survived as an earthwork into the 1950s, after which it was removed to be replaced with a straight hedgebank. It is possible the hedgerow was placed on an earlier earthwork bank or was positioned to skirt an earlier landscape feature. A possible cropmark visible on one print taken in June 1976 roughly defines the southern limit of the possible enclosure, and may indicate the presence of a former ditch. The date of this feature is uncertain. It may be a large hillslope enclosure of late prehistoric date or a field enclosure of early medieval origin, predating the surrounding strip field system. [1-3]
- --- SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540-910 (F20) 3081 17-OCT-1952R.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAL 76047 206 25-JUN-1976.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7033 4709 (158m by 139m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1465533 (Original Monarch entry: 1465533)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW159
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1465533
Record last edited
May 13 2013 10:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.