MMO1950 - Cropmark, West of High Bullen (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A square cropmark is visible in grass to the west of High Bullen on aerial photographs of the 1940s, on a gentle north facing slope at circa SS 70644673. This feature measures approximately 20 metres by 15 metres and may be forming over the remains of a buried feature such as a former quarry of medieval or post medieval date. This feature has been noted on only two runs of 1940s photographs, from July 1946 and April 1947, and is most apparent on the latter. As spring is not a time of year when strong cropmarks are usually apparent in pasture, it must be considered that this feature is non archaeological in origin, possibly arising from the storage of manure in this area or some other agricultural activity. (1-3)
- <1> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 3196-7. 11/07/1946.
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3054-5. 11/04/1947.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7064 4673 (27m by 23m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1465518 (Pastscape entry: 1465518)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1465518
Record last edited
Jun 7 2011 9:31AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.