MMO1949 - Post-medieval trackway south of Wallace Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible trackway of post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork to the south of Wallace Lane. The earthwork is visible as a hollow up to 4 metres wide, running in a southeasterly direction from Wallace Lane, for approximately 135 metres from circa SS 7072 4686. The route may have provided access to the commons on Ilkerton Ridge. [1-3] A spread bank marking the continuation of the ring fence that bounds West Ilkerton Farm. On its northern side a drove alllows access to Ilkerton Ridge. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 3366-7. 13/05/1946.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 (F20) 4082-3. 17/10/1952.
- <3> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
- <4> SEM1 Verbal communication: Various. Various. ENPA archaeologist field visit. R Wilson-North, July 2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7075 4680 (61m by 126m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1465491 (Original Monarch entry: 1465491)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW154
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1465491
Record last edited
May 29 2013 11:48AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.