MMO1932 - Possible prehistoric mortuary enclosure southeast of Kentisbury (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A possible prehistoric mortuary enclosure is visible on aerial photographs as a series of levelled earthworks on a hillside to the northeast of Furzepark Quarry, Kentisbury. Located on a gentle east facing slope at SS 6274 4363, only half of the enclosure is visible, having been cut by a late post medieval or 20th Century field boundary. A central platform is visible, measuring approximately 32 metres long by 16 metres wide. This platform appears to be surrounded by a ditch measuring between 2 and 3 metres wide. A second bank surrounds this ditch on two sides, enclosing an area measuring 33 metres long and 16 metres wide. The bank itself is approximately 2 to 3 metres wide. The total area of the visible monument measures 48 metres long by 23 metres wide. Some sections of the monument are visible on the more recent aerial photographs used for Google Earth . A substantial flint scatter, containing material from the Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze Age has been recovered from Kentisbury Down, indicating long term prehistoric settlement in the area (see MDE1095). This monument is similar in size and form to a number of long barrows and elongated enclosures seen as cropmarks in Lincolnshire, most of which date to the Neolithic period. Long barrows are not unknown in Devon, an example being that at Uplowman Road, Tiverton. [1-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4297-98 13-MAY-1946.
- <2> SEM7654 Website: Various. Google Earth. 2007, consulted 13 February 2008.
- <3> SMO5124 Serial: The Prehistoric Society. 1935 -. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Offprint 64, D Jones (1998), Long Barrows and Neolithic Elongated Enclosures in Lincolnshire, 83-114.
- <4> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings. Volume 48 (1990), A Neolithic Long Barrow at Uplowman Road, Tiverton, (G Smith) 15-27.
- <5>XY SMO7563 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SW. MD002180. [Mapped feature: #33241 ]
- <6> SEM8274 Report: Knights, J. and Dunkerley, T.. 2012. A geophysical resistivity survey of a rectangular ditch and bank enclosure at NGR SS62544485 Waytown Farm and two explorative test pits. 6.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6274 4363 (55m by 49m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1465302 (Pastscape entry: 1465302)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SW73
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1465302
Record last edited
Apr 29 2019 4:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.