MMO1861 - Bronze Age round barrow or ring cairn east of Woolhanger Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A possible round barrow or Ring Cairn of possible Bronze Age date, is visible on aerial photographs of the 1950s onwards as an earthwork on a gentle west facing hill slope to the east of Woolhanger Farm, Lynton and Lynmouth parish, centred on circa SS 70404522. The roughly circular earthwork is approximately 15 metres in diameter at its base and 8 to 9 metres towards the top, which is either truncated or concaved. It is unclear from the aerial photographs whether this is due to recent disturbance or a feature of its construction. Its location at 300 metres above Ordnance Datum, just below a spur of Butter Hill, may indicate that it is located on a false crest, intended to be viewed from the valley bottom to the north-west. It may be associated with a smaller mound to the north, recorded as a clearance cairn but in a roughly similar topographical situation. Its location towards the corner of a field may support an alternative interpretation as a clearance cairn, but its large diameter and somewhat concave or truncated appearance is more typical of a prehistoric monument. The mound has been somewhat damaged by ploughing or other agricultural improvements, but is still visible on aerial photographs of 1995. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 (F20) 4042-3 08-NOV-1952.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL 74023 235 14-APR-1974.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 010-011 12-MAR-1995.
- <4> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7040 4522 (18m by 19m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1464599 (Original Monarch entry: 1464599)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW97
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1464599
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 11:25AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.