MMO1805 - Late 19th Century golf course on Caffyns Heanton Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A series of earthworks, cropmarks and structures are visible on aerial photographs from 1952 on Caffyns Heanton Down. Centred at SS 6911 4746 the features cover an area of 21 hectares on the summit of Caffyns Heanton Down. They appear to represent the remains of a 19th Century golf course, which was abandoned in the 20th Century. Cropmarks are visible at SS 6899 4738, SS 6903 4751 and SS 6900 4757 which appear to resemble fairways or green. Two of these feature a pair of low crescent shaped banks at SS 6890 4754 and SS 6895 4736, probably bunkers or obstacles of some sort. Several other irregular shaped banks are visible between the three fairways as are several structures. At SS 6897 4723 a linear bank running southwest to northeast for 210 metres can be seen. Perpendicular to this bank at SS 6909 4720 is a similar bank, which runs southeast to northwest for 155 metres. Both banks are approximately 3 metres wide. They appear to be another type of golfing obstacle, but their exact function is not clear. Records show that a golf course was constructed in this area in 1894, and a report published in the North Devon Journal in 1895 praised the establishment of a golf links at Martinhoe. The club house is believed to be still extant, but it is not shown on modern or historic Ordnance Surrvey maps, while the course itself is not depicted on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1905. It is not clear when the golf course was abandoned, although it was clearly not functioning in 1952. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 3078-79 (17 October 1952).
- <2> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. R Wilson-North, communication by telephone, 18 December 2007.
- <3> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <4>XY SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172. [Mapped feature: #35206 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6916 4736 (682m by 578m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1462743 (Pastscape entry: 1462743)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE93
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1462743
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 2:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.