MMO1750 - Possible medieval settlement west of Slocombeslade (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Tracks and hollow ways of possible medieval date are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks to the west of Slocombeslade. To the south of Baze Lane/Easter Lane, centred on circa SS 7748 4705, two possible hollow ways are visible, dividing an area currently used as open pasture into two or three plots of land, possibly former building plots. The wider, westernmost Holloway also connects a trackway to the south, which was possibly becoming relict by the time of the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, to Baze Lane. To the north of the road, centred on circa SS 7747 4707, further relict trackways and possible platforms may be visible as earthworks, but are too amorphous on the available photographs to meaningfully transcribe. On the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889 this settlement is called Lower Slocombeslade, the settlements of Slocombeslade and Higher Slocombeslade being located approximately 400 metres to the southwest. A tentative interpretation of these earthworks as the remains of a shrunken medieval settlement is suggested here. By 1995 many of the earthworks have been damaged or levelled by ploughing, but further ground based investigation is recommended. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 (F20) 3101-2 (17 October 1952).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 115-6 (21 March 1995).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4>XY SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168. [Mapped feature: #42100 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7748 4707 (73m by 151m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461426 (Pastscape entry: 1461426)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE117
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1461426
Record last edited
Dec 16 2020 3:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.