MMO1746 - Medieval or post-medieval earthworks south of Brendon village (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Fragmentary linear earthworks roughly 250 metres to the south of Brendon village, centred on circa SS 7663 4783, may incorprate the remains of a field system, trackway and settlement of possible medieval or post-medieval date. The earthworks are visible on a small area of rough pasture to the north of a sharp dog-leg right-hand turn in the course of Cross Lane. It is the opinion of this authority that the current road layout replaced a section of earlier route which partly survives in the course of an extant footpath and the earthworks recorded here. The earlier, potentially medieval route, can be seen to continue northwest from Cross Lane at circa SS 7666 4796, follow the northeastern boundary of a curvilinear field across the rough pasture, before joining an extant path at SS 7656 4784. A second linear earthwork, possibly representing a second road or track, abuts this trackway from the northwest at roughly SS 7663 4780. Now incorporated into Cross Lane, the intersection of these tracks might have formed the crossroads which gave the current road its name. To the north of this crossroads linear earthwork boundaries define a series of rectilinear and subrectangular enclosures. They have been partly destroyed by quarrying of probable 20th Century date, but may be the remains of a field system or possible settlement of medieval date, although there is no visible evidence for structures within these enclosures. The curvilinear field to the south at SS 76594777 may also indicate the boundary of a former ring fenced settlement, possibly supporting the interpretation of this as a former hamlet. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4042 (F20) (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 090-091 (12 March 1995).
- <3>XY SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168. [Mapped feature: #33090 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1461413, Extant 9 December 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7663 4782 (144m by 106m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461413 (Original Monarch entry: 1461413)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE116
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1461413
Record last edited
Dec 9 2021 1:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.