MMO1698 - Post-medieval peat cutting on Shilstone Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks covering an area of approximately 20 hectares on Shilstone Hill, Brendon parish, centred approximately on SS 7635 4568. The cutting is most concentrated on the summit of Shilstone Hill, continuing along a spur to the northeast at a lesser concentration. The individual pits display a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits less than 3 metres square, to less regularly shaped pits often displaying curved boundaries, approaching 20 metres across. Due to the great number of pits visible on the aerial photographs, only a representative selection has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently and may still occur in places . Three similar areas are visible to the south and east on Brendon Common. [1-4] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4072-4 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 199-200 (15 April 1972).
- <3> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. P. 47.
- <4>XY SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168. [Mapped feature: #38861 ]
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7655 4567 (959m by 651m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461103 (Pastscape entry: 1461103)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE84
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1461103
Record last edited
Jan 6 2021 9:18AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.