MMO1647 - Field System on Oare House Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A disused field system is visible as a series of earthworks on aerial photographs at Oare House Allotment, above the settlement at Oare itself, and may represent a failed post medieval enclosure attempt. The system, centred at approximately SS 8060 4775 covers an area measuring approximately 28 hectares. A large number of banks are visible, forming fields measuring between 20 metres long and 150 metres wide. The banks themselves are irregularly shaped, and often curvilinear, but all form approximately rectangular fields. A number of ditches, possibly for drainage are also visible. The irregular shape of the fields suggests that the enclosures are earlier than the 19th Century, possibly medieval, when more regular enclosures were common. A disused quarry to the east of the field system may have provided material for the construction of the banks. The field system is not shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map; however, the area is named "Oare House Allotment" on this map, suggesting that it was connected with Oare House or Oare Manor and was not common land. (1-4)
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/902 3010. 10/10/1952.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 082. 15/04/1972.
- <3> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. P.127.
- <4> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1890.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8054 4782 (1096m by 545m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460591 (Pastscape entry: 1460591)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460591
Record last edited
Mar 15 2011 12:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.