MMO1627 - Medieval field system west of Holnicote House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Probable strip fields and a irregular and sinuous field boundaries of possible medieval date are visible on aerial photographs as cropmarks approximately 500 metres to the west of Holnicote House, Selworthy parish, at circa SS 903 461. At least four curvilinear strip field banks or lynchets can be seen as cropmarks echoing the shape of an extant field boundary immediately to the east. This type of extant curvilinear boundary is thought to be characteristic of fields with origins in medieval strip cultivation. To the west of the strip fields an irregular and sinuous ditched and possibly banked field boundary can be seen running roughly northwards for over 200 metres from circa SS 9039 4602. It may continue curving to the northeast, but beyond this point the cropmarks become too diffuse to transcribe. This type of boundary has now been recognised as probably contemporary with the medieval field systems it encloses. Across this area at least 5 very narrow and straight cropmarks are visible. These are thought to be modern in date and have not been transcribed. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/5159 (F21) 175-6 (4 June 1962).
- <2> SEM7490 Monograph: Turner, S.. 2007. Ancient Country: The Historic Character of Rural Devon. Devon Archaeological Society. 39-48.
- <3>XY SMO7550 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 NW. MD002167. [Mapped feature: #32538 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9038 4613 (180m by 283m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460138 (Original Monarch entry: 1460138)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW225
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460138
Record last edited
Dec 15 2020 11:43AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.